Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Animal Spirits


So my day started out as usual. Up, coffee, veg out, straighten up, mix it up with the kiddos. I'm a slow as a tortoise in the mornings, I need at least an hour to get a grip. Which is why I will be establishing a 'silence zone' for any friends & family members in my presence who have a need to talk incessantly or loudly, or be annoyingly optimistic first thing in my day. (more on that in another post.. if you're reading this you know who you are!)

Anyway, walking down the stairs to my studio hashing over a bunch of things on my mental 'to do' list. Same ritual as yesterday. and the day before that. I always go 'to work' with that second cup of coffee. yeah, rituals....

So there I am, putzing around, straightening up, sifting through incoming e-mails and thinking. Hmm... what to write on my blog? I have so many ideas usually, but yesterday for some reason was hazier than usual.  (I really must start going to bed earlier)

I walk out onto my deck discouraged that it is yet another dreary day in N.J. I then realized that I forgot to look at the tree my husband cut down at the side of the house the day before. Glancing over, I see a deer laying in the grass by all the downed tree limbs. Startled, she looked at me and started to get up. I said out loud "it's okay, just relax".

It was a very cool few moments. Well actually I'd say it was 3 minutes. Three long silent minutes of total calm and quiet. We just gazed at each other. It was natural, serene and had a timeless aspect to it. Like an old intuitive understanding of mutual respect. It was a connection that I don't get very often. With it came clarity, and that for me is always a beautiful gift.

*and it made me forgive her momentarily for eating the flower heads off my geraniums and the deer tick bite taking me to the doctor for a Lyme test from last week.
;-) Cheers

I am excited to begin posting one favorite item each day off the wonderful Handmade Etsy site. 
Speaking of our kindred animal spirits, I've had my eye on this amazing artist for awhile... I really love her style. A combination of fantasy and fable that just tickles the imagination. 


1 comment:

Melissa said...

What a wonderfully magical moment. I envy you living in a place where such things can happen.

BLOG ARCHIVE

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a SAHM and artist with 4 year old twin girls. I have created things ever since I can remember. From printmaking to collage to mosaics, my creative pursuits have run the gamut. After about 6 months of babyhood times 2, I knew I had to get back in touch with my right brain -for sanity sake! After a short search I found polymer clay. I have been hooked ever since..

Vintage Rising